Cape May Warbler - Dendroica Tigrina


Lucky me I've been able to make it in to volunteer at the Field Museum 2 weeks in a row! I decided I had to go in today before everything gets crazyville here in Chicago because of the NATO summit this weekend. 

I'm leaving for a short vacation in NYC on Saturday, so I had no time for paintings this week, but wanted to share this photo with you. It's a Cape May warbler that I worked on today at the Field Museum. It's a male. SO beautiful, but alas an unfortunate window kill. His permanent residence is now the Field Museum bird collections.

Cape May Warblers get their namesake from where Alexander Wilson first spotted one in Cape May, New Jersey. It's interesting to note that Cape Mays were not recorded again in that area for another 100 years. They breed in coniferous tree in the boreal forest, and winter in the islands of the West Indies. 

Have a great weekend, and I hope to post some pics on Twitter and Instagram from the American Musuem of Natural History in NYC. I've never been, so I'm quite excited. 

Comments

  1. NYC imagine that...hope you enjoy your trip, it sounds very exciting! That pretty little bird is such a bright colour. Lots of baby birds in the garden here now, I'm feeding them more because it's still cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing...little bird, not you...you get to go to New York! We are taking Emma and Chloé there in July. Their first time. Not mine. I can't wait!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my first time in NYC either, but I think it's been well over 10 years since I have been. Fun that you are taking your daugthers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful little bird.

    I wish now that I had booked a trip out of town this weekend, especially since my office will be closed on Monday (NATO holiday!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful bird. I have never seen one before. I had a bunch of yellow-rumped warblers in my backyard a few weeks ago--never seen them before, and then they were gone. Migrating through, I imagine.

    Are you familiar with the sora bird? Very interesting call/song. A bunch live in the wetlands area behind my house. It took us a long time to identify them. They are very secretive and rarely seen. We'd only catch glimpses of them running into the reeds to hide. Last summer we called one out by playing their call over and over on an iTouch. The sora would respond with its own call and got curious. We located it in the reeds from the sound of its call, and proceeded to watched it through binoculars. Quite beautiful.

    Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts