Northern Saw-whet Owl - Aegolius acadicus


After meeting Noel the Saw-whet owl at the Univeristy of Illinois Wildlife Medical Clinic, I had to do a little painting. Saw-whets are one of the smallest North American owls, and can be found in highly coniferous, woodland habitats. They are nocturnal, of course, and prey upon small mammals such as mice.

Spring is here, and birds are migrating. Next week I am off to Austin, TX for SXSW. In the meantime here is a little poem I was made aware of last week. It's Avian Time by Reginald Gibbons, and wonderfully illuminates the work of the Field Museum Bird Collections Manager, and other bird collision monitors.

Comments

  1. This is really beautiful. i just saw one recently at a place that rehabilitates wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I was too slow in seeing this :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That owl is up to something. i can see it in its eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop anthropomorphising and projecting, Brink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this - the owl, of course, but also that lovely green color and the framing (is it called 'framing 'in painting or is that just photography?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this little owl too sweet! I really enjoy your pictures and check back often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts