Joseph Cornell and Vintage Stamp Collages




I am still plugging away at the illustration job to design a series of skateboard decks. All is going well, but time has been really tight which means I haven't been able to volunteer at the Field museum for many weeks, including this one. When I need a little break from making line art for the decks, I have been making these litte collage paintings with some vintage stamps that I got from here

I've always loved vintage stamps, and collage art in general. One of my favorite artists, and a master of collage, is Joseph Cornell. Is it any wonder? So many of his collages included avian imagery. The Art Institute of Chicago has quite a collection of his boxes, and over the years I have visited them many times. They've always been these magical, holy relic-like objects to me. A wonderful biography of Cornell is Utopia Parkway by Deborah Soloman. 

I'll try an post a few more of my skateboard deck illustrations a bit later, but for now, I posted a handful of new collage paintings in the shop.


Hope you all are having a great week!



Comments

  1. These little collages are so incredibly beautiful Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i love these! your work is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely paintings Diana, always 'Sold Out' I shall keep coming back. I need one of your trees with birds! I love the waxwings one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your blog because I think your watercolours are beautiful and interesting but I also always learn something from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so beautiful! I love that you've incorporated these vintage stamps into your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, I'm really envious of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just fell in love for all your work. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts